For most of us, Christmas is all about spending time with family and friends, and you may be organising a trip abroad to see your loved ones over the Christmas period. Although you may be familiar with the country that you are going to visit, it is easy to forget to do certain things when getting ready for a holiday; such as renewing your passport or arranging medical travel insurance cover.
Here at OK To Travel we want to help you to prepare for your holiday, and bring you our 12 top travel tips:
- Check that your passport is valid. We do receive calls from customers who do not have a valid passport and cannot travel. If it needs to be renewed, this may take up to 3 weeks.
- Visit your GP 4-6 weeks before your trip to check whether you require any vaccinations.
- Get medical travel insurance and make sure you are covered for any activities that you may wish to participate in.
- Make copies of all travel documents including passport, EHIC and insurance policy.
- If you are taking any devices onto an aircraft, make sure that these are fully charged.
- You can carry essential medicines with you in your hand luggage, such as an inhaler, but it is important to carry supporting documentation such as a letter from your GP or a copy of your prescription.
- Check the FCO website for foreign travel advice.
- If you are travelling with any mobility aids, such as walking aids or a wheelchair, these will need to be security screened before entering a cabin. If in doubt, check with the airline before travel.
- If you are bringing any perishable food back with you, you may wish to check on the FCO website for advice on food import regulations.
- After taking out medical travel insurance with OK To Travel, you must inform us if there is any deterioration in your illness or if you develop a new medical condition.
- Add useful numbers to your phone such as the number for the local police.
- Enjoy a fabulous festive holiday!